Sunday, July 15, 2018

Painting and Sculptures...Awesome Weekend!

I know it has been a few weeks since my last post,...so (as Desi says to Lucy), "I have some 'splaining to do!" LOL 

First...for the younguns, though, I just have to let you know that was an "I Love Lucy" reference!

In my real life, outside of blogging, I am a librarian working in a public library. The last two months have been crazy busy with our summer reading program. As the adult librarian, I put on extra programs and had to have the papers ready every week for the patrons to complete to get raffle tickets for prizes. It all ended last Thursday, with a puppet show in the afternoon, and a karaoke party in the evening. 

I needed Friday just to sleep in first, and then do all of the little errands.

AND now, a look at how the hubby and I spent Saturday: 

A paint can of Sweet Baby Blue

PLUS, the Tools of the Trade

= a pretty painted bedroom!

His truck fixed...Check!

Room painted...Check!

NOW time for some fun...Check!

The hubby and I  headed out for some fun at the Sculpture Trails Outdoor Museum in Greene County. They were having an Aluminum Pour at the foundry on the grounds. They have sculptures all up and down the trails (hence the name!), but today we were here to see the Aluminum Pour. 

Please check out their website to learn more about this awesome place:  https://www.sculpturetrails.com

Visitors could buy a scratch block in which they could carve a design. We arrived too late to have time to create our own, so the designs below are from other visitors and the artists on site. 
Several scratch blocks ready to go

My favorite design...wish I could tell the artist that!

The aluminum inside the forge has to reach 1800℉ first.

It is ready!

Getting the crucible ready to pour

Gotta scrape the top stuff off first

Pouring into the sand mold, designed to resemble burnt wood

Pouring into the mold

Finishing the pour, and scraping it flat

A finished design from a previous pour

A sculpture created from an intertube

A loomed rug that has been turned into a sculpture

Check out all that texture!

Created by a visiting artist, using a grinder. The pieces
will be attached, & displayed on the trail.

Grinding off the rough edges of a visitor's design

Brushing off a few rough spots
Although we didn't make any sculptures ourselves, we still had a wonderful time! Jacob, the blacksmith, did a fantastic job with answering all of my hubby's questions about setting up a forge (another of his future endeavors!).

And...Gerry, Paul and Andrew you three went above, and beyond, in answering all of my questions. I know that I asked a lot of them! 

The hubby and I are looking forward to coming out to the Iron Pour in a few weeks, and I am looking forward to hearing the the presentation at the library that I talked you into before I left!  Thank you again!

If you would like to check out some photos from the Sculpture Trails, check out their website (https://www.sculpturetrails.com), or you can check them out on Facebook. Just type:   #sculpturetrails  or search on FB for Sclupture Trails Outdoor Museum.

Let me know what you think!  Awesome place to visit!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to come see the new sculptures! I hope to see a pour. So glad that you guys got to check it out. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you would like it, Eileen! We can't wait to check out the Iron Pour in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete