Saturday, August 19, 2017

My Honey Takes a Honey Barn Tour

When a fledgling starts a new endeavor, one of the best things they can do is learn from the experts.

As my hubby has started his beekeeping endeavor, he has taken this to heart. He has started attending local beekeeping meetings at the local library.  

This week, he has had the chance to take the Worker Special Tour at Hunter's Honey Farm outside of Martinsville, IN.

According to their website, "the Worker Special Tour combines the Honey Barn Tour, Roll Your Own Beeswax Candle and Bottle Your Own Honey Bear."

So, in addition to rolling his own beeswax candle, and bottling his own honey, he also received a guided tour of the honey barn, a presentation of honey bees and beehive products, honey tasting, a demonstration of honey extracting, demonstration of candle dipping, and a demonstration of honey bottling.

From the looks of it, I would say he learned quite a bit and had a blast while he was at it!


Sting protection, or a fashion statement?

Tour guide pointing out the queen bee

Can you find her? Hint: No stripes

Fully loaded hive frame

A friend of ours from Iowa was visiting, and she was the photographer on this trip since I could not make it. Alas, there are no pictures of her.

But she did leave behind a memento of their trip to grace our cabin...

2 comments:

  1. The young lady who introduced us to the bees is very knowledgeable and can answer many questions. I totally recommend the tour! I learned a lot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Eileen! I know that you guys had a great time. The next time I talk to the owner, I will make sure to let him know how highly you think of his staff.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete