Saturday, August 31, 2019

5 Great Resources for Learning New Skills




Have you ever wanted to learn a new skill? Teach yourself a new language? Pick up a new hobby?

I am always trying to learn new things, and over the years I have found great resources that I turn to again and again.

Today, I am sharing 5 Great Resources that will put you on the path to learning all kinds of new skills in no time

1. The Library


        I am a librarian, and I am here to tell you that libraries are one of the best free resources you can find for learning just about anything you want. Free wifi, classes, books, magazines...the list goes on and on!

        For example, the hubby and I are living in a small (almost tiny house) and are trying to be as off-the-grid as possible. Not only can we check out Mother News Earth magazines, but also these fantastic books with lots of knowledge and skills to help us.

    
      How to Survive Off the
       Grid
by Tim MacWelc
The Doable Off-grid
Homestead
by Stewart
& Sharon Stonger




2.   YouTube Videos


      If you are a more visual learner, this is an excellent way to learn new skills. Auto maintenance, home repairs, DIY and tiny house projects are some of the more popular topics that we watched and learned from some of the pros.

      Beware, though not everyone is a pro! For every legitimate,  honest-to-goodness skilled person you find, I will guarantee there is also someone who assuredly is not. Just be careful!
      


3.  Magazines


     Even though the printing world seems to be changing daily, magazines still seem to be here for a little while longer. Whether in print or electronic form, you can find magazines on just about any topic. Art, blogging, photography, cooking are all skills you can learn more about from magazines. Prices range from free (@ your local library) to under $10, which is still much cheaper than the cost of a book.


4.   Classes


     Free classes are an excellent way to learn new skills! And the best part is that you can find many for free or cost of materials only. I just recently took a series of photography classes at my local library. Also, I teach genealogy classes at the nearby public library where I work. 

      Local independent businesses many times will offer free classes to get customers to come in their doors. Many large chain stores also offer free classes to try to entice you into buying their products: Lowes, Home Depot, Michael's and Hobby Lobby are just a few that come to mind. 


5.  Social Media Communities


       To learn from a friend or mentor, taking classes, or any kind of hands-on type of learning will almost always be the best way to learn a new skill. However, that is not always possible. You may be learning plenty from videos, books and magazines, but you would still like to talk to others in the same position as you.

       And this is where social media communities are a blessing! In addition to the help individuals have given to me on Twitter and Instagram, I have learned so very much on topics of interest to me in my Facebook Groups. 

       I also have a genealogy blog and talk with leading bloggers in the field weekly in my Geneabloggers Tribe group. I can receive the same support, camadarie and rapport in my Tiny House, Shed-to-House Living and Self-Sufficient groups.

⭐⭐⭐

 Start learning now! You have the interest in learning a new skill. With these resources, you have free, or inexpensive, ways to learn more, and follow your passion. Now that you have a way, the only thing you do not have any more is an excuse!

8 comments:

  1. Great post! I think that the library is an overlooked resource. I love going there. I also agree about you tube!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allie, thank you for the comment! I have to agree with you about libraries. They are very often overlooked. In fact, we have people walk into the library where I work and remark, "This is the first time I've been in the new library!" The "new" library being 12 years old, and the people commenting have lived here for a long time! LOL

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great resources here! When I was a little girl, all I wanted was to be a librarian... at almost-thirty not much has changed! Lol. I was also floored at the amount of free classes offered on the internet for practically anything! If you're willing to put in the effort, the sky's the limit. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haley, thank you for your comment! There are so many classes offered over the internet, at the library, at extension offices, and all over. There really is no excuse not to take classes, or learn something on your own, As you put it, the sky is the limit!

      Delete
  4. I love learning new things online! There is so much knowledge that people share every day and so many free options! My favorite website is Skillshare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Online is wonderful, because you can learn even from the comfort of your own home.I have never heard of Skillshare! I will have to look into that website.

      Delete
  5. It is always good to learn new things. Learning keeps the brain working. I like learning new things, I have worked many jobs at work because of that. Many years ago I had a Lawyer tell me, "Always learn new things, read new things, it keeps your brain young and active." As he was in his eighties at the time, and still practicing, I listened to him.

    ReplyDelete