Sunday, January 12, 2014

Blast from the Past

     Wow...that is really all I can say is wow!  They say that you can't go home again, but sometimes you can find a way to visit the people in the old neighborhood, at least.  This weekend, I have been able to visit some of the people from my past, and it has been wonderful.
      If you have been reading some of my back posts, you will discover that I have always been somewhat resistant to getting out of my comfort zone.  I grew up in a small town, where everybody knows everybody.  Then chose to go to a fairly close state university, with someone I already knew as a roommate.  Many people from my hometown went to that school, so I was constantly seeing people I knew. 
     So, why in my sophomore year did I chose to go accept a summer job in Michigan, where I didn't know a soul??  I have absolutely no idea!!  In fact, the only other Hoosier that would be there lived several hours from me and I had never met her. 
     And then, you go and throw in some confidence issues into the mix...that just made for an interesting coworker.  I was friendly and helpful to everyone; but at the same time, uncertain of myself and a little homesick.  Some of the counselors already knew each other and had worked there for a few years.  I am sure they were just a little aggravated with me.  One counselor in particular took me under her wing and gave me a lot more confidence in myself.  Thank you, Cricket, I have always remembered that kindness!
     Because of Facebook, I have found a way to get back in touch with many of these wonderful people.  Since we all had nicknames for the summer, I couldn't just use Google to find anyone.  So, through the magic of Facebook, I have spent a fantastic weekend reconnecting with old friends by the names of Splash, Rainbow, Barney, Cricket, Iggy, Banana and Ling Ling. 
    Thank you, ladies, for a wonderful weekend!  I look forward to staying in touch with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment